Erin Ireland is one of my favorite food bloggers. I love her healthy take on life and the awesome recipes she serves up. I found a great recipe for a vegan twist on Mounds bars on her Instagram story last week. Mounds bars are one of my favorite candies (possibly my favorite) so I loved the idea of a healthier version. Erin found the recipe on VoilaVegan.com, so check out her site, too.
Okay, let's cut to the chase.
2 cups desiccated coconut
1 can coconut milk (only the solid part)
4 tbsp agave or maple syrup
1 cup vegan (dark or milk) chocolate
1 tbsp coconut oil
- In a food processor blend the desiccated coconut for a few seconds, then add agave and coconut cream and blend until slightly sticky. Quick tip: Place the can of coconut cream in the refrigerator the day before. This will make it easier to separate the solid portion from the liquid.
- Shape bounty bars with your hands and place them on a cookie sheet in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Start melting the chocolate over low heat with coconut oil.
- Once it is melted, dip each bar into the chocolate and make sure it is evenly covered with chocolate.
- Place each piece back on the cookie sheet and freeze for another 30 min.